Sunday 18 December 2011

Lessons in Duct Tape Removal

Following my memorable experience as a Fly on the Wall, at the end of our school's Can Drive fundraising extravaganza to collect food donations before Christmas, I was in a sticky situation.

Not only were my fingers a little tingly and my legs wobbly (not sure I would recommend having any kids do this!), but I was good and gooey.

My beloved boots, which I bought earlier this fall due to the sorry state of my previous pair, were all sticky from duct tape. 

My students gasped when they saw it, as they helped to peel me off the wall. 

The girls, in particular, mourned.

I've been trying to teach them Math and French all year, but I may have succeeded best at some warped 70's- and 80's-influenced fashion sense, which I tend to exude.

I put on a brave face and reassured them that I could get it off. 
They shouldn't feel one bit bad about it.

"What about your jeans, Miss?"

Oh, dear.

So, I quickly changed at school into non-duct tape clothing (it was pajama day, so I indulged and wore my comfy Lululemon pants and the new hoodie Eli brought me back from Ontario-- purple, my favourite).  I left my sticky clothes in a bag to worry about later.  After all, we had the last day of school before Christmas break to focus on!

So, on Friday night, once the girls were in bed, I set to work on my boots. 

They were COVERED in tape residue.

For future reference, because, by the sounds of my influence, some of you might be finding yourself taped to a wall sometime in the future for a fundraiser...
To remove duct tape from leather boots, use a white eraser, and rub gently. 
It really helps if it is a Santa Claus eraser. 
Ho ho holy magic eraser, Batman, that came right off! 
I tried the eraser on my jeans. 
It did not work with the fabric weave.
It crossed my fingers and put it in the washing machine (on cold, of course).
Nope. 
I put clear packing tape on the duct tape residue... 
... and the packing tape lifted that duct tape residue right off!! 
I was totally impressed with myself. 
It took me under 5 minutes to completely clear my jeans of any duct tape.
My jeans were wet from the washing machine when I did this, and I'm not sure if it helped...

There. 

Exactly what you needed to know a few days before Christmas.

Aren't you glad we had this talk?

Aren't you glad we're friends?

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Pure genius x2!!

Anonymous said...

What a girl... brain and beauty... so happy I could pass you down my genes... oops... I guess I mis-spelled jeans... heehee...!!! Mom xx.

Anonymous said...

Aren't you a smarty pants! You're just like McGuiver in p.j.s! Thanks for the laugh, Jennifer!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...