Saturday 22 October 2011

In the C-Dot

This morning, I woke up early to fly away from the North.
I left my house at 5:15 am, and was at the airport, through security 20 minutes later.  What a luxury of Yellowknife!!  In Halifax, I would have had to leave the house by 4:00 am at the latest to catch a 6:00 am flight, and that might have been cutting it tight. 
I took pictures of displays set up in the Calgary airport because this is a super-quick visit.  So, for my girls, here it is, C-dot's abbreviated tourist tour:  (Click on the links to see the websites of Calgary's tourist attractions that I did not see, except for here in the airport.)
Here are the dinosaurs from the Royal Tyrrel Museum.  I hope they are albertasauruses. 
Here's a visit to the Calgary Zoo.  Hi hippos!!  Miss A says hello!!! 
Antarctic Landing at the Calgary Zoo was great, thanks.  Haffy Peet!!
A race horse for Miss G. 
And an Ode to the Calgary Stampede.

After my 5 minute tour of Calgary, I called for my hotel shuttle.
The temperature in Calgary is considerably warmer than Yellowknife, and I waited for the shuttle to my hotel here.  My conference is at my hotel, so it's one-stop travel. 
The landscape in the prairie city is very different from the North.  It was so pretty to fly over the farms and see spots of lights as the farms wake up (and in some cases, a lone tractor light working the field).  I took this picture from my shuttle to the hotel, and the sheer volume of houses visible from one line of sight sort of captures the prairie truth of the city. 
I got settled in my hotel room and was on time for the 9 am start of my conference.  Not bad for leaving Yellowknife at 6 am, eh?  A two hour flight sure beats a three day drive! 

Now, about my attire.

Leggings are back.  Oh, you didn't get the memo?  Well, my mom sent them to me as an early birthday gift, and I love them.  If you did miss the memo, here it is:

MEMORANDUM

RE:  Leggings

Leggings are back. 
The 80's are back.
Except, not the big bangs.
Nor my spiral perm.
But, the best of the 80's are back.
Long live Cyndi Lauper and Madonna.
And, Bon Jovi, you never left.
Huminah huminah.
Amen.

Signed,
A Devoted 80's Girl

Priority #1 in Calgary

New boots for mama.
I'm a little embarrassed to show these boots.
I bought them over a decade ago with my BEd buddy Jody.
I have walked many many many kilometres in these boots.
They have walked almost all of the Halifax peninsula streets.
I've logged many hours of teaching in these boots.
I love these boots, but they are in need or retirement.

And, I'm so lucky!!

My cousin, Mary Ann, and one of my bestest BEd buddies, Sue, is coming shopping with me!! 
Sue and I have some fond memories of these boots.
When I just called her to tell her that I needed new boots and told her I was still wearing these ones, she just laughed at me.
"Your hooker boots? You still have them?"
HEY!  They are fashionable!  They are just tired.

Photos of our shopping expedition to come tomorrow.  Wish me luck boot-hunting!

And, remember...

The best of the 80's is back.  Spread the news!

Meanwhile, back on the Northern Homestead, Eli's having a wonderful weekend with the girls. 
They were both up around 5 am (sorry, Daddy!), and both fell fast asleep in the wagon after a walk to the grocery store, which is also known as the "chocolate egg store."  My girls have priorities.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you're having fun shopping. Sooo sorry I whimped out of shopping. Life has been pretty hectic and after a day at the corn maze I am completely exhausted! I hope you find some new boots to replace your "hooker boots":) text me tomorrow and we'll try to meet up for some lunch.

Sue

Anonymous said...

I hope you're having fun shopping. Sooo sorry I whimped out of shopping. Life has been pretty hectic and after a day at the corn maze I am completely exhausted! I hope you find some new boots to replace your "hooker boots":) text me tomorrow and we'll try to meet up for some lunch.

Sue

Anonymous said...

Love your outfit! And for the record, I have a pair of tights too! Hope you enjoy your new boots :) Monique

Anonymous said...

Love your outfit! And for the record, I have a pair of tights too! Hope you enjoy your new boots :) Monique

mwyllie said...

Just had a cookie with a big glass of milk...it made me think of you...us milk drinkers...who will only have it one way...cold and big...not a small glass...
Glad to hear you are getting new boots...new boots are always a necessity...black or brown?

Anonymous said...

Love the sleeping girls in the wagon!!! Hahaha

I've so been wanting a pair of leggings (hello comfy) but what's a preggo girl to wear over them??? Lol!

Hope shopping was successful!

Xo Kel

Anonymous said...

I second Kelli - LOVE the wagon picture! Reminds me of all us kids falling asleep leaning on each other in the back of the Suburban.

And, where is a picture of the new boots??? So curious! xoxo Auntie Annie

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...