Sunday 4 December 2011

Miss G and the Ledge

Every year, the Kindergarten classes from Yellowknife, Dettah and Ndilo help to decorate a collection of Christmas tree in the Northwest Territories Legislative Assembly's Great Hall.  Apparently, this has been a tradition since 1993, when the building first opened.

On November 30th, Miss G got to take the school bus to "The Ledge" as they call it in Yellowknife with her class.  I managed to catch the last half of the visit with a luckily-timed prep period and lunch break.  It was important to me to be able to go because Eli is away, and Miss G was so very excited about it.
As usual, Miss G's teacher, Mrs. F, had the students well prepared.  They all came prepared with beautiful child-made ornaments to decorate the Christmas tree.
This is Miss G's gingerbread ornament. 
It is triple-sided, and Miss G was very careful and deliberate with the details.  It is so sweet! 
Miss G also created this beautiful Star of David. 
And, a lovely rainbow candy cane. 
Miss G was so happy to have me photograph her tree! 
I also got to be a Mommy in the middle of the school day and take her to the washroom.  She told me that she might have to contact the Speaker of the House to arrange for white soap on her return visit.  The pink soap was not up to her cleanliness standards. 
The Grand Hall is looking beautiful! 


The class also had a chance to hear The Night Before Christmas

And, the kids all got to colour a picture, which thrilled Miss G to no end.  She got right to work on it! 
I was so pleased to have made it there to share some of this field trip with her. 
The kids bundled back up for the cold day (-30 something... you can just expect that to be the party line until, oh, APRIL).  Miss G is the short one with the piggy tail hat in the middle of the line. 
They were very cute holding hands walking to meet the school bus. 
And, look!  The sun came out! 
Miss G wanted me to ride with her on the bus, but was satisfied to sit with one of her best friends in the front seat (I had to drive my car back to the school, since I came after they had arrived by bus). 

I started to walk back to my car, and snapped this shot, with the Yellowknife city centre skyline in the background and the Northern NOON sun. 
That's it. 
That is as high as the sun gets the last day in November. 
It makes for very loooong shadows. 
I waved!
And, Miss G waved back!  I love this kid!! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looked like a great time. holy frosty weather. i have to say shannon, i still don't miss the snow at ALL. your lovely pics fills my snowy void. pleae keep the blogs coming. i love em:)
tammy

Jaime said...

Such a great event! Miss G looks so proud... as do you. :)

(We still have William's drum that he made last year!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...