Friday 2 December 2011

Santa Claus Parade

Well, to say that the last few weeks have been dull would be an outright lie.

I've been a busy bee.

I need to catch up on some stories!

Two weekends ago, when I flew out of Yellowknife to head back to New Brunswick, Eli was left in full charge of the girls and their activities. 

Unluckily for him, I already had the girls hyped up about an activity that I was not going to be able to see through.

You see, I flew out of town on Saturday afternoon.  Saturday evening was the Santa Claus Parade, and the girls were well-informed about the float in the parade for our school.  Miss G, in particular, was singularly focused on riding on that float.

So, Eli did what any good Daddy would do.
He bundled them up in their snowsuits, hats and scarves.  Then, he added the mitts and boots to get them ready for the -30 degree winter night. 
They were pretty excited to see the parade floats all lit up.  My cousin, Lena, arranged to meet Eli so he could drop his car off at the end of the parade route, and she drove his to the start point by city hall.   Lena is awesome.
The girls got on the float, and were eager to wave.  Daddy walked along side of the float.  I'm told it's a rather brisk parade because it's just so FREAKIN' COLD! 
Bundled as they were...  
The girls got cold. 

Eli informs me that even though the girls look happy, they were freezing cold.  Their feet were what Eli was most worried about, and even with two pairs of sock, their little feet were cold in their Bogs by the end of the hour.

So, weimmediately decided that we needed to upgrade our Yellowknife foot gear because it's so FREAKIN' COLD.

Seriously, your eyeballs feel cold when you go outside up here.

And, I don't like the cold.  

Once I got back from my long adventure from the East, we went to Weaver and Devore to pick up some Baffin Boots.  They are rated between -60 and -100 degrees Celsius.  These bad boys mean business.   
Eli had already bought his before we got ours.  We picked out the girls' boots, and I got the exact same ones as them.  Why?  Well, they fit, and they are warm, and I now know exactly how warm their feet feel when we are all outside.

They are like having warm pillows strapped to your feet.  It's as close as you can get to winter bliss.

The girls now call their Bogs their "cold boots." 
And they were LOTS warm for our East coast winter last year!

They won't even consider playing outside without their warm black boots on.

Today, I had outside supervision duty.  It was not quite -30, but still FREAKIN' COLD.  I was pretty toasty in my parka that goes down to my ankles, snow pants, and boots.

But, my eyeballs still felt frozen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a "SuperDad"... it's so wonderful to see how Eli just slides into the "Mr. Mom" mode when you need him to be, without blinking an eye...!!! Beautiful pictures and blog... Mom. xo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...