Friday 16 December 2011

Fly on the Wall

Our school had its annual Can Drive today.

For me and my girls, it was our very first one, so we weren't quite sure what to expect.

The Can Drive is the celebration we have after two solid weeks of collecting food donations for the Salvation Army in Yellowknife.

On the last day of school, the staff and students do it up Mardi Gras style with innovative and interactive activities, non-stop fun, and loud music. 
Throw in the candy canes that seems to make up most of our diets this time of year, and it's a massive par-tay!
The school collected 3040 cans in total.  Our mascot, Chip, came to help us celebrate!
It was LOUD!  Eli couldn't believe how loud it was when I showed him the video from the event. 
I was so glad that Miss A wore her sound blockers. 
Her ear drums just can't take that level of noise for so long. 
This is Miss G's expression every time she sees me at school.  It's the "That's my Mommy!" expression, and I like it.
This is the "Silly Mommy taking more pictures" face by Miss A.
Miss G was INTO IT.  Here she is cheering on the egg-on-a-spoon race.
And, I'm also proud to say that they are good listeners. 
And, freakin' cute!  That's been established time and time again!!
Then, I was called to compete in the Fly-on-a-Wall contest. 
Some of us take it better than others.  This is the best expression ever! 
So, the kids get two rolls of duct tape and about 10 minutes to tape us on the wall. 
Sometimes, revenge is had. 
I really wanted to win, so I coached along my students. 
Final touches, and then they pulled away the bench! 
S-T-U-C-K!  I didn't budge. 
To be honest, I thought I would fall, but I didn't. 
I lasted a looong time.  Once I saw the pictures of the tape work, I understood why.
I was there long enough to provide a canvas for creative festive decorating. 

I was there for over an HOUR when another event came up involving Miss G and the 25 cans she donated. 
She was very proud to donate the cans, and by donating 25 at once, she earned the right to throw a pie in a teacher's face. 

I asked her if she would throw a pie in Mrs. F's face, but she was horrified by the idea.
Then, she got a sneaky look on her face and said, "Yoooou're a teacher!"

Uh, yeah.  So?

"I'm going to throw a pie at YOU!"

It's been an obsessive thought of hers for almost two weeks!
Dutifully, Mrs. F walked a very shy Miss G over to her Mommy stuck on a wall with the cream pie.  Miss G was a little concerned that I was stuck for good. 
Her concern did not affect her aim. 
Next year, she said she doesn't want to throw a pie...
... Unless it's a mud pie.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, I never did fall off that wall.

I'm dictating my blog, as I'm still there.

Kidding.

Eventually, the Can Drive ended, and I was still stuck. 

I think I was on the wall for about an hour and a half.

My students had to peel me off the wall, and it wasn't easy, let me tell you.

It's the price of winning.

That, and numb fingers, arms and legs.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

how freakin cool was that!!!!! I am so telling my headmaster about this! she'll love the idea!!!!!! you had a blast and your gals are super awesome!!! on man i miss you little buddy. thanks for the post.

love ya tammy

Anonymous said...

What a great success... your school really gets involve with projects... nice to see the kids enjoying themselves so much. Nanny and Papa are really proud of little "G" for her big efforts to make sure other little children have lots to eat. Little "A" is as cute as a button. I guess we could say you gave "Time Out" a new meaning, or should I say "Hang Out"...heehee. Mom.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God Almighty...I haven't laughed that hard in a long time !!!!!!!!! This takes the cake for any fundraiser I've ever seen...Your girls were super duper cute but I have to say YOU STOLE THE SHOW ON THIS ONE !!!!!!!!! Thanks for the best laugh I've had in forever !!!!!!!!!!oxooxoxoxoxo
Rosella

Anonymous said...

OMG!! You my friend are anut!!! i can't believe G threw a pie in ur face as you were duct taped to a wall! too funny~ and exciting!! lol!! xo Melissa

Anonymous said...

A.W.E.S.O.M.E. -Monique

Jaime said...

Totally fabulous fun!!

Way to go to ESJS for the amount of food... and to Miss G for her pyramid o' food!! And her aim! ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...