Thursday 22 December 2011

Waiting for the Sun

This morning, we woke up long before the crack of dawn.

Which means, we all slept in until 8:00 am!

The sun rose today at 10:08 am. 
Today is the winter solstice. 
Many years it is on December 21st, but this year it is the 22nd.
So, after a lazy start to our morning, we got bundled up and drove to Great Slave Lake, which is completely and thickly frozen--and has been for many weeks-- to walk out on the lake and take pictures of the sun rising on the shortest day of the year, in the most northern location our family has lived.
Today, we will have 4 hours, 56 minutes and 13 seconds of sunlight.
Unfortunately, it was very overcast, and we were a little concerned the sunset would not be worth photographing. 
But, very slowly, the sun began to rise. 
And, the low cloud refracted the light to make it look like fire.
So, the shortest day of the year also means that we get the longest night. 
North of Yellowknife, there is no sun whatsoever today.
In fact, the sun will rise in Tuktoyaktuk, Nunavut, in 23 days.
January 14th at 1:35 pm. 
Now that the winter solstice is here, the days will be getting steadily longer.
That's the optimist in me.

And the days will continue to get colder.
That's the realist in me.

Brrr. 

I love my parka.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I, who is always concerned about lakes being frozen enough to walk or skate on them... well I do not worry about this one at all! The ice must be 50 cm thick by now! :-)

Anonymous said...

My heavens Shannon.....I think its so awesome that you get to experience this...It's just awesome !!!!!! Rosella

Anonymous said...

Oh Yay!!!! I had forgotten and today is the 23rd so that means we are already on the upswing! WOOHOO!! Thanks for making me smile :)

XO Kel

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...