Sunday 2 October 2011

Preparing for Hibernation

It is the beginning of October, and winter is upon us.

At least, that's true up here in the Northwest Territories.

I love autumn.  But, it is very short-lived in the North.

Why, just over a month ago, I wrote about Autumn in August, and now, I will tell you that autumn is wrapping up it's appearance.

So, we are in pre-hibernation mode here. 

Not really. 

We are not planning to hibernate all winter. 

I've been warned that the winters are hard, and the only way to thrive (not just survive) is to play hard. 

So, we are getting ready.
I ordered the girls' new thermal one-piece snow suits. 

Eli and I have parkas. 
Mine is like a walking sleeping bag, and the purchase of my parka was a necessary condition of me agreeing to relocate with my beloved.
Eli's parka has a mass greater than me!  It laughs in the face of winter. Ha ha... brr.

I want the girls to be just as warm, if not warmer, outside. 

One-piece snowsuits are awesome!
They are warm.
No snow gets up your back. (I hated that as a kid!)
The hoods are deep, have a peak, and are fully attached.

The girls have a lot of independence dressing themselves with one-piece snowsuits.
They are really good at starting and zipping zippers, but with all the snow gear, the one-piece snowsuits help them get ready for outside (or undressed for inside) much more quickly.

I let the girls pick their own colours, and they were very excited when the snowsuits arrived and they could test them out.
Also a major part of hibernation preparation in our house is crafting and art-making.
Actually, that's a major part of every day!
Miss G has taken over my Morning Message board with her beautiful artwork (the bulletin board and fridge, too, with designated locations for Miss A's contributions).
I love her enthusiasm for LIFE!
(Check out the coyboy girl hat.) 
This week, Eli and I saw our first Aurora Borealis show since we've become Northern residents. 
It was bright and blue and captivating. 
My phone camera was not up to the task of capturing it, but I had to have some memento, and here it is. 
The next morning, Jack Frost had a little "hello" note pinned on the cars, rooftops and grass. 
Of course, the true sign of winter's approach is another trip to the medical clinic.
Miss A's ears were painful, and she amused herself in the adjacent beauty salon while waiting for the doctor, but.. 
... eventually, her earache took firm hold, and Miss A was sad.
She had a throat infection, too.
Luckily, the clinical doctor is really child-friendly and quick (after the wait), so she's on antibiotics and is on the mend now!
Eli and I have learned that we will take days off when they are under the weather as a preemptive germ strike.
The girls just need rest, and that means having Mommy or Daddy home.
We use medicine sticker charts to keep track of the doses (Miss A has 3 doses/day, Miss G only 2 doses/day... Miss A's infections tend to be more invasive).
The girls love seeing how many stickers they have, and how many days are left.
So, Miss A missed Thursday at school, but Miss G (who had an earache last week) was healthy and at school for her Teddy Bear picnic. 
She talked to Mrs. F days before the picnic and arranged to have Kid Doggie attend in lieu of a teddy bear from our house because he is her special friend. 
Mrs. F said yes, of course. 
I also found this cute little mouse that Miss G made in her room. Mm is for mouse.
She's done Ss, Tt, Pp and Mm.  And she loves to print her name. 
She got to bring her thoroughly coloured Teddy bear crown home, and she embellished it with Hallowe'en stickers sent in a care package from Nanny and Papa.
It is symmetrical the whole circumference of the crown, I assure you! 
Yesterday, I prepared the house for winter by organizing the front closet and making room for the bulky winter gear. 
It's a good thing I decided to get ready for winter this weekend.
Look outside!
No leaves.
And is that...?
Yes. 
It is the first snowfall of the season!

Back inside...
I also added magnets to the Date and Weather board for the girls. 
Miss G and Miss A love it! 
Nanny and Papa sent along these super-sweet wool coats for the girls' "dressy" winter coats in our recent care package. 
They have plaid lining, and in the hoods. 
Super-sweet.

So, I would say that we are ready for winter.

I'm not saying that I LOOOVE a long winter, but we are ready for it.

I can't control the weather, but I may as well make the best of it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor A! Little muffin :( I'm glad she's on the mend though. Also, I'm sure G's crown is symmetrical for sure!

The snow suits look great!
Monique

Anonymous said...

Ahhh.... Nanny's and Papa's girl was really not feeling good.What a heartbreaking picture...!!! We love your super- dooper snowsuits...!!! Nanny.

mwyllie said...

Those tears were heartbreaking...I hope everyone is on the mend soon...
I love the warm coats and snowsuits!
-mw

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...