Tuesday 4 October 2011

The Yellowknife Sky

Yellowknife is at 62°27'36"N Latitude.

That's North, y'all.

North of 60, in fact.

Did you know that that geographical line that separates the provinces from the territories is 60° Latitude?

The Sixtieth Parallel.

The other evening, this is the beautiful sunset that I could see from my front deck:
It was so beautiful with the clouds.

Truly, I have never seen a sky like the Yellowknife Sky. 

The angle this city makes with the sun is amazing.  Even during the long days of summer, the shadows never shorten because of the angle (at the highest point in the year, it's just above 45 degrees, as 52-ish degrees).  It's as if time slows down.
It's enough to make me want to start measuring and graphing.

The Math part of my Heart is happy.

This morning, the sun rose at 7:52 am. (Twilight began at 7:08 am.)

The sun was not up when I walked my girls to school.
The girls asked me if I was sure that the teachers were awake, since it was nighttime.

I pointed out that I was a teacher and I was awake.

They thought that was just fine.

The sun set today at 6:59 pm.  (Twilight ends at 7:43 pm.)

Tomorrow, we lose 5 minutes of daylight.
In one week, our daylight will be 41 minutes shorter.

Two weeks?  1 hour and 23 minutes.

One month?  2 hours and 58 minutes of daylight is gone.
Yes, that's almost 3 hours in one month.

In two months, on December 4, 2011, we will have lost 5 hours and 31 minutes of daylight from today. 
On the shortest day of the year, the Winter Solstice, December 21st, the sun will rise at 10:07 am and set at 3:04 pm.
4 hours and 57 minutes of daylight.

That's good news of the Aurora Borealis!!  We should have the Northern Lights overhead to and from school.

I hope it's a sunny day with no clouds!

The optimist in me (who I let out to play as much as she wants, because she is so-much-fun!), knows that it will be equally fast getting the daylight back.

It might be cold, but it will be brighter in the new year!

(I found the nifty graphs online... You can make the graphs for any place.  I think I'll be using them for my Data Management component of Math this year.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love finding time in the morning to read your stories. thanks little buddy...keep 'em coming.
tammy

Anonymous said...

Hope the winter does not seem as long as it actually is... hate to see the little Girlies out in the dark...!!! Love you all so much... xo. Mom.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...