Thursday 20 October 2011

Happy Moments

I'm not going to lie to you.

Living here in Yellowknife is tough on me.

I'm used to being an East Coast girl, where "far" is a 4 hour drive. 

And 7 hours is just plain nutso.

I'm used to having my Melissa within a few minutes drive.

Even if we did used to spend all day on the phone, sometimes not seeing each other for weeks in person, it was important to know we were only 12 minutes apart and could go to a yoga class together when both of our husbands were home, and the stars aligned.

I'm used to having my Monique to call at 6:30 in the morning because I knew that her girls would be up, too.

The time zones are cramping our style, people!

I'm used to having lunch dates to discuss recent research in math education, and laughing at funny articles that no one else finds funny.

Eli just stares at me when I try to explain math humour to him.  Blankly.

Yes.  Living here in Yellowknife is tough on me.

But, I'm adjusting.

I'm adjusting to living away from the region I call home.

I'm adjusting to missing.  People.  You know who you are.

I think they are still adjusting, too.

I'm adjusting to having my girls in school.

I'm adjusting to teaching full-time.

And, I'm adjusting to teaching middle school.

And, I'm realizing that it is alright that my calling is to be a primary school teacher... that's an important thing to know about yourself!

The world needs passionate primary teachers, too.

And, I'm enjoying the family time we have together.

I love seeing Lena more. Cousins reconnecting is fun!

A real blessing about being it the North... aside from the Big Lake, according to Eli. 
Oh, and the possibility of hunting. 
And fishing. 
Have I mentioned his boat lately?...

Ahem.  I digress.

A real blessing about being in the North is having an opportunity for our girls to really get to know their Gramma and Grampa.

The girls love them, and just love seeking them out after Sunday School to show them their colouring or crafts.  And having "plum puddin'" with Gramma.

I think Gramma and Grampa love it, too.

Oh!  An update on my Worst-Mommy-in-the-World moments:

1.  Miss A is having pizza at school tomorrow (or today, if you are reading this on FRIDAY)! 
She is so excited!! 
Mommy gleefully paid for the pizza slice for her baby girl, and Miss A gleefully turned in her pizza order. 
Jubilation.

2.  No more fire drills this week.

3.  Miss G's scrape is healed, and is now a faint red blotch. 
She is so proud of her newfound super-power:  growing new skin. 
She is very impressed with her body's miraculous healing abilities.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As usual your blog is very near and dear to our hearts.... yes we are trying to adjust to having our little family living so far away too... as you know very well, it's a big challenge for all of us.... but with perseverence we can handle anything, right? Looking so forward to that big plane ride in the near future.... Mom and Dad...xo...!!!

Anonymous said...

Some things change but some will always stay the same...friendships:). We need our best teachers in primary and that would mean you my friend :)
Mw

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...