Saturday 8 October 2011

My Saturday

Eli let me sleep in this morning.

(This is code for:  "Honey, I want to go fishing today.")

I couldn't.

I don't like it when my Brain says,
"Get up! 
It's morning! 
You are not tired!"

Meanwhile, your body is saying,
"Ignore the Brain. 
It thinks it is smart, but it doesn't have to physically chase the girls all day or plan for hormonal middle school kids.  (Which, by the way is giving you white hair!)
It just delegates tasks. 
It's a micro manager. 
Brains suck.
You are tired. 
Sleep."

Meanwhile, my Brain was planning. 
The day. 
The week. 
The month. 
The year.

Brain.

So, I got up just before 7 am.

I enjoyed my morning home with the girls because they are awesome and I am lucky to be their Mommy.

Miss A built a "tent" with pillows between the couch and chair.  The tent got more elaborate as the day went on, culminating with most of their blankets, sheets, cushions from all chair with removable cushions, toys, play food and body boards.
No kidding.
Miss G was sharing her breakfast snack (the first of a series) of graham crackers with Kid Doggie as she snuggled on her school desk in her PJs with her cowboy girl hat on. 
Kid Doggie is usually sporting his pink headband and fleece dress (which I sewed to match one that Little G has). 
This morning was no exception. 
He said that the cracker hit the spot. 

Most of the rest of the morning involved me trying to type up some math activities for the middle schoolers I teach (and who make me lose my morning sleep-in), in between requests from my girls to print colouring pages.  They are colouring machines! 
P is for Papa, and a Rainbow Fairy for Nanny (by Miss G)

Miss A's interpretations of Donald Duck and Tinker Bell
Twofour thought that he might move into the Barbie house.
Miss A was very concerned about this development.
She called me in immediately for reinforcements, and we lured him out of her room with a good morning carrot.

Truth:  We stayed in our PJs until noon.

Then, we got dressed and I fixed the girls hair real fancy-like, and we walked next door to help Mr. L celebrate his very first birthday! 
My neighbour, Tricia, channels Martha Stewart.
Her place is beautiful and the party she put together for her Little Man was amazing.
My kind of lady! 
The girls had a wonderful time, and we excited to wear the new princess dresses that Gramma gave them recently. 
Miss G loves balloons and loves kids. 
She was very excited to look out the window.
"Mommy, I can see your car!"
"Mommy, I can see my friends' house!"
"Mommy, I can see our house from here!!" 
Later, she disguised herself as a bunch of balloons to try to surprise Miss A. 
Miss A was not surprised.
But, I think she appreciated Miss G's enthusiasm. 
The girls even settled in for some reading time in the middle of the party.

Now, here is a tale that will tell you why Miss G is one of my very favourite people:

Miss G needed to use the bathroom, but wanted to use the bathroom on the main level where the food was set up, instead of the one near the playroom (I'm not sure why). 
So, we walk down a short flight of steps, down the hall into the bathroom. 
She panics because she cannot see the toilet (it is behind the open door). 
Relieved, she asks me to stay by to help her wash her hands because she can't reach. 
So, I do. 
She walks over to the toilet and exclaims,
"Mommy!  This is so soft!  I love it!" 
Her little stockinged feet are on a fuzzy blue bath mat. 
I swear, I do take her out of the house on a regular basis. 
I'm racking my brain (yes, the same one that woke me up this morning, but now it's taking a break) for any other time that we might have been in a house with a bath mat in front of the toilet. 
Distracted, and still searching my brain to assure myself that I have not deprived her of fuzzy bath mats, I am now at the sink with Miss G, letting her stand on my feet so she can reach the sink. 
I turn on the taps for her and bring the soap pump closer to her. 
She asks, "Mommy, is it white soap?" 
I tell her that I'm not sure, but I know it will get the germs off. 
The soap is clear, which Miss G deems acceptable (and possibly superior) to white soap, and she begins to wash. 
Suddenly, she is gleeful: 
"Mommy!  Oh, Mommy!  This smells sooo good."
(Insert deep breath in.) 
I ask her what it smells like to her (because it's lavender and green tea or something like that). 
She takes another content breath in and says,
"Mommy, it smells like socks.  I love socks."

Perhaps we need to get out more. 
Mr. L enjoyed his cake, and knew just how to dive in. 
My girls were pretty excited about the cupcakes coming their way.
And, who wouldn't be?? 
To go with the Turkey theme were these adorable cupcakes.
Seriously, can you tell how well my neighbour and I will get along?
I scrolled through every picture of my girls eating cupcakes, and in every one, Miss A is making this face.
I think it's clear that she enjoyed them! 
It was delightful to watch Mr. L rip into his presents. 
In fact, he dove right in!!
He is so sweet.  Check out the tie-onesie!!
Miss G was eager to give him her gift, and the girls gave me no trouble when it was time to hit the road.
Why were they eager to leave? 
They saw these unbelievably cute Turkey Bags! 

Tricia and Dave, thanks for a great party.  The girls and I had a wonderful time.

Now, I'm going to eat some Vietnamese food that Eli brought home.

(This is code for:  "Honey, thanks for letting me go fishing today.")

And, soon, I'm going to make my brain sleep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it ALL. my goodness shannan, you really know how to make me smile. plus, love your neighbour as well!!!! i'm a details girlie too.

glad your little ladies had fun.

Happy Thanksgiving
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed reading your blog... what a beautiful party... The Girlies looked very pretty in their new dresses... Gramma has wonderful taste... Mommy you are too funny in the way you relate your days events... Hope Eli had fun fishing... although I think he might have had more fun eating turkey muffins... heehee... Mom xo.

Anonymous said...

Shannon, it was really nice to meet you at Little L's birthday party. What a great blog you have - so witty and you take some great pictures!
Jill Tobin

Anonymous said...

Very cute party!!! Cool neighbour r to know !!!

XO Kel

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...