Friday 25 November 2011

Travelling Gypsy

I've been a travelling Gypsy.
I left Yellowknife last Saturday, and flew the afternoon and night away, landing in Halifax early Sunday morning.
My illustrious hosts, Monique and Eric, doubled as my chauffeurs to and from the airport, and up and back from Miramichi.
Sunday, we drove to Miramichi.
Monday, we attended the loudest liveliest wake the funeral home has ever seen. A lovely tribute to Nana's long and enthusiastic life.
Tuesday, we attended and participated in the funeral, then drove back to Halifax.
Wednesday, a massive snowstorm hit Halifax. The snow was wet and slushy. 34 cm in total, I am told. Monique and I went into the city, and I managed to see my friend Genevieve for lunch. The snow put a blanket over any other plans to see my other Haligonian pals.
Thursday, early in the morning (even earlier Yellowknife time), Monique dropped me off at the airport.
I bought four lobsters to bring back to Eli and Gramma, as an East Coast treat. I had excellent connections, which would put me back in Yellowknife that afternoon.
My flight was scheduled to leave on time.
But, it didn't.
The weather meant that the flight arriving from Calgary was a wee bit late, and we were a wee bit late again taking off.
On the plane, I almost fainted.
Anyone who knows me well, knows that this is not a terribly unusual thing. In high school, I would regularly faint in church. My poor dad... I can't count how many times he would catch me, passing out on the way up to communion, carry me out of the basilica, set me in a snowbank and wait for me to come to. I could hear things, but I couldn't see things. Every thing would be white, and I couldn't really respond. It's like being underwater. It is sometimes triggered by heat or smells (like incense), and sometimes by nothing at all.
So, I felt... odd... on the plane. I was in the first row, and stood up to see the flight attendant. I felt a bit nauseous at the same time, so I asked her for Gravol.
I wavered a bit.  I grabbed the wall.
She took one look at me, and made me sit.
Apparently, I was WHITE.
Then, she paged for a doctor on board.  You know, just in case I hadn't drawn enough attention to myself.
Dear Lord. As if I wasn't embarrassed enough.
Two young doctors came to my seat.
They took my blood pressure (very low, as usual, but reasonable), and listened to my heart rate (about 72-- fine).
I insisted that I was fine.
I had water.
And juice.
And a cup full of ice cubes.
And I went through about a dozen very cold cloths, as my body temperature was high and I was warming them up as fast as the flight attendants were bringing them.
Then, they wanted to call ahead to Calgary for an ambulance to meet me at the gate.
Please, NO.
I insisted that this was not unusual, and I would be fine.
They kept on checking.
Luckily, it was a 6 hour flight (luckily? did I just type that?), and I had an opportunity to get myself under control and was very convincing, insisting that an ambulance was unnecessary.
When I got off the flight in Calgary, it was clear that I did not make my connecting flight. It left an hour before we landed.
Westjet was great, and put me in a hotel for last night, and gave me vouchers for my meals. I was quite impressed with their swift service.
I also got another visit in with my Aunt Mary and Uncle Francis, and I got to see my cousin Tara briefly with her kids. First, Mary brought me to her place for a bagel and milk to settle my stomach. And, supper
And, Mary and I shopped. Why not?
So, I'm in Edmonton now. I'm happy to report that today's flight has been uneventful. And, in a few hours, I'll get to see Eli and my girls.
And, don't worry.
The four Pinchies spent the night in the hotel's fridge, and were sent through security this morning. In fact, they are sitting right by my feet as I type.
Bringing lobsters from the East to the West, and then North, invites a lot of comments from envious travellers. I've had many offers for people to take them off my hands. I think that the lobsters are more likely to be snatched than even my laptop (not that I worry about either, really).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Pumpkin... that was a rough flight... hope the doctors were very handsome... compensating for your inconvenience... heehee...!!! Mom.

Anonymous said...

Good Lord! What a trip! We were so glad to have spent some time with you though and glad the lobsters made it :) -Monique

Anonymous said...

Well we are glad you made it home again, what a week! Have a great weekend with the family:)

XO Kel and the gang

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...