Saturday 5 November 2011

That's My Thing

While getting ready to write this post, I can't help but see a specific scene from Friends running in my head.  This may have something to do with the fact that Eli and I still watch Friends each night with my trusty DVD set of the complete 10 seasons.

We don't have cable.  We haven't since about the time Friends ended in 2004.  It's not just a coincidence.

Anyways, in the scene that I'm thinking about, Ross and Joey are aghast at Monica for telling Chandler that some guy at her work is the "funniest guy she's ever met."  They claim that being funny is Chandler's "thing." 

The next absurd conversation turns to Ross, and what his "thing" is. 

Joey: Being funny is Chandler's thing! You know, like Ross's thing is....
Ross: Science? Academia? Being a good father?
Joey: No.
Monica [to Chandler]: Honey, you know I think you're hilarious! Come on, you know that joke you told last week? The one about Jerry Lewis and the girl with the lazy eye? It slayed me!
Ross [to Chandler]: Hey, I made up that joke and told it to you!
Joey: Not knowing when to shut up.
Ross: Yep, that's my thing.

So, what's my thing?

Well, one of them is procrastination!

Yesterday, the girls stayed home with me.  Miss G was still recovering from her lengthy illness, and we all needed a day of rest.  What should have I been doing with this bonus day at home?

Report cards.

What did I do?

I hung up stuff.

Wanna see?
In the office, above my new couch, which I love, I hung up my two maps. 

As I was hanging them, Miss G said, "Mommy, are those maps?"

I said, "Yes."

She asked, in awe... "Is Yellowknife of the map?"

I said "Yes, it is.  Yellowknife is right here."  I pointed it out on both maps, and showed her where Canada was on the world map, too.

Miss G was impressed.  "Is Miramichi on there, too??"

I said, "You bet.  It's right here."

She was quiet, and sighed, "Yup, that's far alright."
Next, I hung up the colour cats in the hall below the ever-changing bulletin board of the girls' creations.
Then, after searching high and mostly low for a suitable place, I decided to put the ABC train in the dining space so the girls can access it easily and the visual letter support is there for their early printing.  They really do love the alphabet right now.  And, who wouldn't?  It's a great alphabet!
The Months of the Year and the Days of the Week are up below the TV, and near the girls' play kitchen.  They LOVE to sing the Days of the Week song, and to recite the months of the year.
Twofour likes the Days of the Week, too. 
He's a smart bun.

*Sigh*

So, procrastination is one of my things.  It's something I'm best at.

Luckily, as Eli often reminds me, efficiency is also my thing.

Once I set myself to work on something, I can usually accomplish it quickly, and I do a good job.  Thanks goodness.  Or else, my thesis would still not be done! 

So, report cards, you will be done in a matter of days.  I warn you, now!

But, I wonder what other procrastination projects will distract me and lure me away?

Procrastination actually makes me effective.  It's all that good starting and stopping action.  It's good for the brain.

Right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the blog again :). there is something else you are...normal, funny, a great mom and the list continues! love the insight into your brain and your house. it's lovely. great pic of bunny
!

funny seeing your pics, i have the same ones over here that i brought with me. they hung on my wallls in addition to the dino set. regan's first classroom looked alot like her house!

sure hope your gals feel better soon shannon.
tammy

Julie said...

Ah! procrastination! I touched on it in my blog too:

http://happinessdishbestsavouredhot.blogspot.com/2011/10/show-me-your-neurosis-ill-show-you-mine.html

Also don't miss this goldmine of info regarding procrastination!

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dont-delay

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...