Wednesday 16 November 2011

Visits with Gramma and Grampa

Last weekend.  Not, this one that just past, the but one before that.  You know.  About 10 days ago or so...
We went to Gramma and Grampa's church and got to enjoy the sultry sounds of Gramma's voice accompanying her guitar as she helped to lead the worship.  The girls, naturally, obliged by dancing up a storm. 
Then, the girls joined the other kids with Pastor Al for a prayer before heading to Sunday School.  Colouring (Miss G) and Veggie Tales (Miss A) are their main priorities, and the messages still sink in.  Fun AND learning values.  How novel.  Oh.  And, my girls girls are cute.  Just thought I'd point that out.  Miss A is cutely sitting next to Pastor Al wearing blue, and Miss G is cutely attentive in front of Pastor Al wearing purple. Cute.
Then, we got a double treat as Grampa read a passage from the Bible.  He reads it like he means it, and he does.  Everyone enjoys his readings.  And, I like his pocket gear.
On our way home from church, we passed these ptarmigans running along the road.  They are in the grouse family.  They are loosely related to partridge and pheasants.  Not too bright.   Not the sharpest buttons in the jar, as my friend Jody and I used to say.  But, cute.
We also regularly pass dog sled teams training, so it's my goal to get you a good picture very soon.
The next weekend.  That is, this very latest weekend.  As in, three days ago (four if you are reading this early Thursday on the East Coast)...  Well, anyways.  I had to write up my report cards, so I spent most of Saturday in my classroom editing and reflecting.  Eli took the girls out and about.   
The girls had been asking to see the pilot monument that is visible as you enter Yellowknife from the airport, so that was their first stop. 
Then, they went sledding!!  It was about -16 degrees Celsius, and they were toasty warm in their snowsuits, and Eli in his parka. 
Then, the girls went to Gramma and Grampa's house.  Here, they are helping Gramma make dessert... pecan pie. 
So, I finished work, and went home to drop off my school stuff before making the short walk to Gramma and Grampa's house.  -16.  Just thought I'd mention.   But, look how pretty -16 is!
There is this beautiful dewy frost that kisses the North and frames the trees beautifully. 
That same kissing frost also leaves this fine, impenetrable layers of perma-frost on cars.  No scrapper can dent it or chip it away.  This picture is taken after I attacked this window.  It is a really pointless exercise to fight this frost.  Even Jack Frost would be wearing thermal long johns up here! 
Solution:  Having Eli park my car in our heated garage over night.  Thawed and visible! 
So, I arrived to Gramma's cooking (stuffed roast chicken and whipped mashed potatoes) and this glorious pecan pie for dessert. 
We got to take some home, and it was supper AND dessert for me after school one night.  Muahahaha!! 
You can't stop me. 
Back off. 
I need some meat on my bones. 
So, around 7:00 pm, we bundled up the girls and pulled them back home.  Cute, right?  I told you so! 
No more waggon...  The sled works wonderfully, because the snow is not cleared to the road, and the sled glides easily across.  It was lightly snowing and about -17 with the wind. 

In our warm suits and parkas we were warm and toasty. 

And, oh-so-full with many thanks to Gramma and Grampa for their hospitality.

1 comment:

mwyllie said...

That pie looks incredible! I want some! I agree...your girls are pretty cute.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...