Wednesday 31 August 2011

Ponies, Play Dough, Kitchen and Books

Today was the girls' first full day of school.
And, I'm happy to report... I survived.  Barely.  But, I survived.
Last night, I was a basket case. 
I did not see this coming. 
I've been a Kindergarten teacher for years. 
I've seen the first day of school half a dozen times from the teachers' perspective.  Nonetheless, it's heart-wrenching to pass over your beloved children to virtual strangers, who, on some days, might get to spend more time with them than me. 

Lucky people.

I think it was easier doing this as a Kindergarten teacher because I already knew the teacher those kids were going to get: 
Me. 
Loving and firm. 
Nurturing and supportive. 
I would kiss their boo-boos and wipe their tears. 
And, I'd hug the parents when they needed it too.
The girls have excellent teachers. 
But, it's hard to let go.  (And, it's a loooong day for little ones.) 
I don't regret saying that it's hard for one minute. 
Every word I type is true. 
I'm not embarrassed at all. 
Beginning a permanent and full-time 13-14 year educational journey at the ages of four- and five-years is a big deal for every family. 
And it should be. 
But, my opinion of societal norms for school, age, and pacing is for another place and time. 
My opinions would probably surprise you, given what I do.
Luckily, Eli will be there almost every day to pick the girls up at the end of the day. 
His daily work schedule will let him be at their classroom door when the bell rings everyday, unless he is flying in the North on a day trip. 
Can I have an "Amen!"?
Those other days, the girls will hang out in my room after school and watch a movie or play kiddie computer games. 
I will always drop them off in the morning.  They'll hang out in my room until bell time, as I have no duty in the morning. 
Can I have another "Amen!"?
I believe in maximizing our contact with the girls.

They are my very favourite people.

And, they are hilarious and fun. 

Just like Mommy.

I know you can appreciate my joy in having them in the same building as me.

I love it.

The girls' classrooms are right next door to each other.  Love.  It.

And, I'm right upstairs.  Love. It. More.

Space.  Security.  Convenience.

Love.

With all of the changes, travelling, and "see you soons," with our big move across the country, I think it's important for them to know that Eli and I are close by, and will always be there. 
They are resilient, but we can't expect them to have super powers and no emotions.

In the morning, Miss A marched pass my classroom on a school tour with her Preschool class.  She knew it was my hallway, and peeked in my room and yelled,
"That's Mommy's room!" and kept on going.  My students loved that.
My girls were happy to see me during the day (and I was happy to get glimpses of them!), and they seemed more settled each time I saw them. 
Do you see Miss G towards the end of the line? 
She was just visiting the school mascot (who can be a little scary for little ones). 
Her teacher told them that Chip the Husky was sleeping. 
Miss G pointed out that his eyes were open, so he couldn't be sleeping. 
He must be a costume and just pretend. 
Miss G's class continued their merry school tour by heading upstairs to my classroom. 
I was on a break, so I went to the staff room. 
And, I ate chocolate. 
It soothes me.
When yoga is out of the question for spiritual healing, chocolate has a similar effect. 

After school, the girls were in meltdown mode.
Hysterical.
Why?
They wanted to go on the school bus.
We live 300 metres from the school.
They were not impressed. 
Miss G was, however, impressed with her new Kindergarten crown. 
She got to decorate it with special stickers, and they are very meaningful to her.
She told me about every one.
She felt very special all day wearing it. 
And, she wore it to bed.  She did take it off for her cowboy hat for a while, though. 
Both are in bed, actually.
Miss A gave me an interview about her first day of Preschool, after an hour of playtime outside with their favourite new neighbourhood buddies, a warm bubble bath, and celebratory chocolate chip pancakes for supper.

Me: Did you like preschool today?
A:  Yeah!
Me:  Did you have fun with Miss P and Miss C?
A: Yeah!
Me:  What did you do?
A: Play!  Fun!  Friends!  Books!
Me: That's super!  Do you want to go again on Friday?
A: Yeah! 
I interviewed Miss G about her day, too.

Me:  Was Mrs. F nice?
G: Oh, yes.
Me: How did you feel about your first day of Kindergarten? 
G:  It was fun.  I was only a little bit scared and a little bit sad and a little bit happy and a little bit excited.
Me: What did you do today?
G:  Ponies.  Play dough.  Kitchen.  Books.  It was fun.

I was impressed with how much she could tell me about her day.  She told me which book they read.  I believe I own the entire Kindergarten library, so I should not be that surprised that she is familiar with most children's literature, and can report which books were read to her.  She told me about her friends, and asked me for mittens when she plays outside.

It's on my list.

For the record, I was also a little bit scared and a little bit sad and a little bit happy and a little bit excited about today, too. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great parents you are...!!! Shannon you just walked in the exact same shoes I walked in 27 years ago... It's hard at times ... But when your children turn out to be productive members of society... Like you and Brad have.... You know that you must have done something right along the way.... as you will find out... through your two beautiful girls... Dad and I love you so much...xoxo...!!! Mom

Anonymous said...

Eli... let me take this time out to express to you how very proud of you, we are to be such a caring Dad...the girls are blessed to have you on their cheering team...!!!!! Mom.

Anonymous said...

Made ne a little teary eyed as these are the precise emotions I have been grappling with this week. Love you all so much. Auntie Annie

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you were brave Shannon. It must have been strange to be on the other side of the "first day of school". They looked so cute and so comfortable! Sounds like they are gonna be just fine :) Can't believe it will be me in 2 years... I miss talking to you in the days!! Call me this weekend ok? -Monique

mwyllie said...

Sounds like success all around! I'm so glad the girls are in your school...that is pretty special :)
-MW

Anonymous said...

i feel for you little buddy. i felt similar last year with regan....broke my heart even though like you i was teaching at the same school, only 2 rooms away!! it's totally different when you are a parent. my experience last year with regan gave me a greater understanding of what non-teacher parents go through. because of that, i was much more empathetic to them, and even though i have a huge heart for the kids, i swear it grew bigger and wow... my report cards this year were so difficult to write!however, as you well know, it's the process and heck, it's so much harder on the grown-ups. you did a brillant job as ever and you should be very proud of you too shannon. it's was a big, difficult, and joyful day for mom as well. hugs to all the ladies!!! xoxoxoxox

lovin' your blog baby!!
tammy

Anonymous said...

Awwww....they are so cute and they are old enough to go????? Wah! I can imagine it was hard! Nice school by the way! And I loved your outfit!

Let me know if you need anything sent up. I'm headed to Vancouver in a week or so.

XO Kel

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Sounds like all "the girls" experienced a successful first day! I agree, it is a totally different perspective from the other side of the desk! I feel confident that Miss Gand Miss A will do just fine!

MM

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...