Monday 29 August 2011

Satisfied Customer

I love books.  So does Eli.  So do the girls.

Books, in my opinion, are better than movies.  And, WAY better than television.

Though I do love the movie adaptations of some books.  Like Harry Potter. And Twilight
Team Edward, baby!! Huminah, huminah.  I digress.

This past Christmas, I bought Eli a Kobo eReader.

I was pretty surprised when I opened my present from my dad, and got one too!

Thanks, Dad.  (He's a good listener, and picks great gifts.)

I was so disappointed when my Kobo very suddenly stopped working shortly after we arrived in Yellowknife.  I was grateful to have had it for our cross Canada trek, but sad that it was so short-lived.  I had JUST finished The Help... an EXCELLENT book.  Read it.  You will love every page. 

Here is how my Kobo got broken-ease: When I pressed the power button, the screen had straight lines.  I could kind of guess from the placement of the lines if it was on the home page, book cover or a reading page, but there were no letters that you could make out.

You can't read a book like that!

I tried everything.  I reset it.  I charged it.  I drained the battery and recharged it and reset it.

You get the idea.

Since I used it so much (and it's SO handy, compact and cute), Eli and I resolved ourselves to buying a new eReader.  I began researching all kinds.  There are major bonuses to lots of them, but I was sad to give up on my Kobo. 

I loved it because it was purple and soft. 
I loved it because the e-Ink made it easy to read outside in the sun (unlike a laptop screen).
I loved it because I read hours a day, and this was a great way to read!
I loved it because it was simple and could not surf the Internet.
I like purposeful items:  its purpose is to be like a book.  Not a computer.
I like to "unplug" when I can.
I loved it because it was purple.  Lilac, actually.

As I was researching, I found the Kobo website, and decided to contact customer support.  Just to see.  And, sometimes, by reporting a problem it helps to improve future models.  I like when people and companies can learn from mistakes.  I'm all about improving for improvement sake.

I got to a customer service representative.
I explained my poor Kobo's symptoms.
I explained all of my e-medicinal attempts to cure my Kobo's symptoms.
But, my Kobo still had broken-ease. 

The customer service representative listened.
She typed.
She said, "It sounds like you've tried everything, so I'm going to send you a new one."

I leapt for joy!

Now, THAT is customer service!

I was so pleased.  She had a box and packing materials Purolatored to my house so I could return my broken Kobo.  She told me that it would take 10 business days for me to receive my new Kobo.

She also told me that they were out of lilac Kobos. 
I'll admit:  I was bummed.  I like my purple eReader.
I told her on the phone about my unnatural attachment to my purple eReader.  She laughed.  She giggled.  She was on my side.  She said that clearly, I loved my Kobo.  She made a note on my file that I loved my lilac Kobo, and if possible they should repair my old one so I could have my purple one back.  My alternate choice was grey.

True to her word, my Kobo arrived, delivered to my door with a Purolator smile in 10 days.  Not business days.  Days.  To Yellowknife.

When I opened it, this is what I found:
My Kobo!  Actually, a BRAND NEW KOBO in original, unopened, straight from the manufacturer packaging. 
Hello, Sweet eReader! 
As Joey, on Friends, once said:
"If you want something enough and your heart is pure, wondrous things can happen!" 
"Can you tell me how this happened?" 
"Miracle!"

It's a PURPLE Kobo!
Oh, sweet books, here I come!
I love you, Kobo.

I still have a major soft spot for real books, but this satisfies my unnatural consumption of books in an efficient manner.  And, I have no more space for any bookshelves.  We're full.  I would have to move Eli out to make room for any more books.  That's NOT happening.

This is so awesome, because I can buy a book online and have it right away without waiting for it to arrive...
Book suggestions, please!!

I already have a list, but I'm always looking for more!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want your list, especially of books you've read and recommend...

Your doting mother-in-law xo

Anonymous said...

As much as Em says he doesn't want one I think I will get him one. I hate the bookshelf sprawl we have going on! And he needs something easy to take with him places :) Glad they had such excellent customer service, I will be looking at them!

XO Kel

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...