Tuesday 20 March 2012

Spring Schmring

The calendar says it's the first day of Spring.

Apparently, Yellowknife did NOT get the memo.

Yes, I know the Maritimes is all warm and sunny and barbecuing everything in sight.

Nanny and Papa arrived back home this morning and looked very out of place in their winter coats.  And, they were barbecuing in t-shirts in 23 degree weather.

Am I ever going to appreciate the Maritime seasons when I move back!
I walked the girls to school this morning.  It was about -23 degrees Celsius with the windchill, but we're so well-dressed, we hardly notice it.
We also have about 12 hours of daylight right now around the Spring Equinox (which is the half-way point between the two solstices).
Eli stayed home today and yesterday with a nasty stomach bug. 

Miss G asked her class to pray that Daddy gets better soon during their prayer time in the morning.

She's cute.

Daddy... not so much.

You should hear the moaning and complaining...

Oh, woe is me.
At lunch today, Miss A's preschool teacher found me to tell me that Miss A was having some tummy trouble, too, so Daddy came to get her. 

(A freakin' blessing teaching in the same school as my Lovely Little Ladies.) 
So, after school, Miss G got to hang out with some of her friends in a teacher-friend's classroom while I taught after school Drama to the middle school Drama Club. 
Then, we got to enjoy a Mommy and Miss G walk home in this lovely spring weather.

It warmed up enough to snow, isn't that nice?

Not only did it snow, but the wind whipped the fine powdery snow around to make it look and feel incredibly blustery and stormy.

I love my parka.


(The "Idle Free Zone" is not observed when it gets below -30 or so... just thought you ought to know...)

Do me a favour, and think of me before you make any complaints about your weather, will ya?

I'll let you know when Spring arrives... in a few months...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Shannon, Hopefully the weather will perk up soon! I know a few people who were posted to Yellowknife and absolutely loved it so hopefully it will be way nicer in the summer!!!! I love reading your blog to see whats new!!!
xoxoxWhitney

Anonymous said...

We had a blizzard yesterday too. What spring?

Em is stuck in camp. In a blizzard. My coping skills went out the window. I'm ODing on tidbits right now. I can't drink, I may as well eat! Hahaha

They might be BBQing out east but you guys usually do too :) and they don't always have good weather back there ;) but I do understand that a hint of spring would be nice. Oh wait. There is no spring in YK. Seriously, it goes from winter to summer in a week. Just you wait! It'll be nice when it does happen :) not too much longer.

We're gearing up for flooding here. 427cm base at the ski hill right now!

Sending our love :)

XO Kel

Shannon Lee said...

Kelli,

I do hope Em makes it back from camp soon. It's so frustrating when you pace yourself to hold things together for a certain amount of time, and then, suddenly, more days are added... I'd make cookies. And, brownies. Mmm. Maybe I'll make brownies just because Spring is never coming.

I do remember how it went from Summer to Winter so fast! I like Autumn and Spring!! Give them back, YK. While I do know that the Maritimes doesn't always have great weather, they do have seasons. Yay for seasons!!

Thanks for always reading, Kelli. Love it.

Naddas said...

ahem. lets try this again.

Poor Shannon, just remember you are not alone, this is our first winter here as well and i can't stop feeling stuck in a warp zone on mario bros where we are frozen. (that wasn't on my first comment)

And i am so close to deleting my FB friends back east who dare brag about the temperature and what is up with the ones taking pictures of the inside of their car showing off the temperature reading. Trust me, we believe you. That's what the weather network is for. And in your car? why won't you walk!

Shannon, you and I are going to talk about the sun every day of the summer at all times of the night, because guess what? it's sunny ALL the time. and it better rain back home, well not in august you know.

Until then, lets celebrate our parkas that don't smell like fish. Lets celebrate my parka that is hidden in the closet. Lets celebrate my not so thick jacket that i am parading around in for the last few days. Cold fingers? who cares, they might as well fall off.

And when it's nice here and we are fishing at midnight, i will be bragging about it!

there, that's my rant (please note, this is my second attempt, thus the humor is not as funny as the first time). copy and paste, check.

Shannon Lee said...

Yes, Nadia, I am in good company up here! Loving the parka and the joy it brings me each time I pull it on.

But, seasons... Oh, how I love seasons! Autumn is my favourite, and it was so very short. The summers here are memorable, though!!

Thanks for the comment (twice tried). I'm so glad you like to read my silly ideas and stories!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...