Friday 23 March 2012

The Maple Man

The Maple Man came to our school to visit and teach about making Maple syrup, and Maple taffy, and Maple sugar... mmmm.....

Because I am teaching Core French, I got to accompany a few groups of students to the Maple Man presentation on Thursday.

You might remember that Miss A was not feeling well on Wednesday. 
On Thursday, she was fine, until Thursday evening, when her fever spiked, and she started to vomit. 
That's why I'm home this afternoon (Friday) writing... Eli and I split the sick day. 
He took the morning, I took the afternoon.

Anyways, all of that is to say that Miss G missed her class visit to see the Maple Man on Wednesday, because I kept her home with her Sissy just in case she was only a few hours behind in the whole stomach bug appearance (as of now, she still has no symptoms).
So, when I brought a group of my "big kids" to see the presentarion on Thursday, Miss G's teacher suggested that I take her along, too. 
She said that all of Miss G's classmates had loved the Maple Man presentation, and she didn't want her to miss it. 
I didn't want her to miss it either. 
It was like bringing a little bit of l'Acadie to Yellowknife!
Miss G was tickled to get to join me and the "big kids!!"
Teacher friends and interested parent friends, please click on the link to the website for René Turmel (AKA the Maple Man). 
In English or in French, there are videos and all kinds of information!! 
I was totally impressed with the whole thing.

The Maple Man was sure to get as much of the French-Acadian flavour into the presentation as possible.

Wooden spoons, which all the kids got to try, a dancing wooden puppet, and an acordian.
Good times.
Miss G especially liked the partner Acadian dancing, to upbeat Acadian fiddle music, and she really liked being my partner. 
We two-stepped down past all the middle schoolers.  
And she was an enthusiastic jigger! 
The big kids are really sweet when little ones are around, and insisted that Miss G get to be first in line for some real Maple Taffy...
... from the Maple Man's own trees. 
Oh.  So very good!
Miss G was very impressed that this came from sugar water froma  Maple tree (and LOVED the video about tapping the trees, boiling the water, and seeign the horses work the land)... but, she wasn't about to eat it, lest it stick to her princess teeth. 
So, Miss G brought it to Miss A in preschool (who had a carpenter in visiting... he helped the kids build a new stool for washing hands in the classroom!).
As if she could get any sweeter.

And, she just said to me, "Mommy, I need to take a nap."
Poor Peanut. 
She's all snuggled in my bad with Patchy-Patch and Yellow (her blanket) for a nap.
She's much cuter when she is sick that Daddy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a terrific dancer you are little "G"... Nanny can see you had a great time by the way your pigtails were flying up in the air... heehee...!!! Little "A", sure hope you are feeling much better... Nanny and Papa sure miss both of you a lot... xoxo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...