Tuesday 27 March 2012

Mama's New Toy

I "grew up" in a school with no laminator.

Yes, my beloved school in Nova Scotia had the best families and was super small with an active community, but no laminator.

That was alright.  I didn't really know what I was missing.

My new school has a laminator. 

I've used it a few times, but because laminating is not ingrained in my teaching planning practice, I use it sparingly. 

Mostly, I use it only for important signage and the like.

If I can see myself recycling it, I don't laminate it.

Well, hold the phone!

I discovered a wonderful thing.
Ta da!  My own thermal laminator.

I never ever ever thought to buy one on my own before.

I had always assumed they would be very expensive.

But, then, I was talking to Miss A's preschool teacher one morning and she was talking about the laminating she had done at home.

My scooby ears perked up.

"Home?" I inquired.

"Oh, yes," said she.  "I love my laminator."

"Well who wouldn't?!" (I may have yelled.)

She looked at me like I was an alien.  "You don't have one?"

"No!" Again, my excitement was palatable.

"Well go get one!" and she told me EXACTLY where to look in Walmart.

Not two days later, did I pick up my girlies from my gracious neighbour's house. 

She is so sweet, and runs a day home, and watches the girls for upon the occasional school Professional Development Day.

It was right before Valentine's Day, and she had the girls make us these beautiful Valentines. 

I can't believe I don't have a picture of them... they are hanging in my classroom by my desk. I take pictures of everything!  How do I not have a picture of them??

Sorry.  Back to the story.

Beautiful girlie-made Valentines.

They were laminated.

I looked at her, and said, "You have a laminator?"

She smiled and said, "Mmhmm."

Then, I proceeded to described the exact location of the laminator in the store.

She nodded.

So, I went to the store to buy it. 
The laminating film is very reasonably priced, too. 

I was so excited! 
I started with practical things. 

Like my March calendar numbers (they make a pattern). 
See how excited they are to be laminated?

Just waiting for the green "go" light! 
Ta da!

Now, I'm nothing if not practical.

Eli will tell you that I have been very good.

I've only laminated a few calendar pieces and some game cards for a well-loved Dora game we have here.

So far.

I'm sorting out some of the girls' artwork that needs to be properly preserved for posterity sake.

I don't think I'll be over-laminating, but I'm pretty excited to have the option for some of the girls' special flat creations, and any paper game pieces that need some extra reinforcing.

*Disclosure:  Scotch doesn't know me from, well, you.  Scotch did not ask me to go on and on and on about a product that they've probably had on the shelf for quite some time on my little blog.  I did that all on my own.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...