Tuesday 20 September 2011

Perks of my Job

Teaching is more than a job.

Teaching is a lifestyle.

Teaching is a vocation.

And today, my teaching job had a very cute perk.
Her name is Miss G.

I can tell you that I only wish I had a picture of this,
but it happened so fast,
and my camera is broken,
and my phone camera was in my purse,
locked in a cupboard in my classroom,
so the moment passed without a photo,
but I just have to document it,
so I do not forget this day.

As you know, my girls and I have the lucky experience of spending each school day under the same roof.  I'm busy teaching and learning with my students, and my girls are busy growing and learning in their classrooms, so we do not see each other for lengths of time, but it is pretty thrilling to get those stolen moments during the day.

Usually, our moments of "Hi Mommy!  Hey, friends, that's my Mommy," and "Hi!  Miss G's Mommy.  Are you really a teacher, too?" are initiated by me. 
Usually, I have a prep period, and I stop by their rooms to say a quick hello. 
Or, I pop by during lunch for a quick kiss and to tell each of them how proud I am that they are being a good friend and a good listener.
Or, our classes pass one another in the hall, and it's a wonderful adventure for everyone.

Today was different.

This morning, as usual, I walked the girls to school.
We stop first in the girls' hallway where they hang up their outdoor gear, change their shoes, and organize their back packs and lunch boxes.
Miss A joins the preschool class right away after a kiss from me and a hug from sissy (drop off time begins at 8:00 am). 
Today, she had this very awesome life-size line drawing of herself for me to take home! 
The resemblance to Miss A is there... it's her creative spirit on paper!

Miss G comes with me for my morning routine, until the first bell rings.
Miss G and I walk to the staff room, where I wheel the wagon for daytime parking, and hang my coat and change my shoes. 
Miss G stays outside the staff room, and waits for me, greeting friends and teachers as they arrive at school. 
Miss G also likes to hold the door open for any teacher coming or going.
Then, we mosey on up to my classroom, and Miss G entertains herself with my teacher stamps, markers, or drawing on the white board.
She loves to chat with the Big Kids, and likes to sit with them at the big tables.
They are very gracious to her.
When the first bell rings, I walk her back to her room, give her a kiss goodbye and we both begin our separate days.

This morning, during second period, I was with my Grade 7 homeroom class giving a Math lesson.
We were reviewing the problem solving questions from the last week to prepare for the test coming up, so I was near the front of the room.

I heard a scurrying noise at my door.

I looked over, and saw, to my delight, a very familiar blond ponytail and pink headband bobbing around.

I walked to the door and opened it.

"Miss G!  Hi!  What are you doing here?"

"Mommy!  I am in the library with my friends and Mrs. F, and I really had to pee, so I am going to the bathroom right now.  OK!  Goodbye!!"

(This is funny because she walked past the bathroom to get to my classroom.)

"Oh, that's a good idea.  Do you remember where the bathroom is up here?"

"Yes!  I am going to go and I will flush and wash my hands."

"Good girl."

So, I returned to my classroom, getting ready to reveal the Fibonacci series to the Grade 7's for the first time.  Less than five minutes later, the scurrying noise outside my classroom door returned.

"Hi, Miss G!  Why are you back?"

"Mommy, can you help me?  I can't reach the sink to wash my hands."

Well, of course I said yes.  How could resist??  I left the classroom in the very capable hands of my Classroom Assistant as the students completed their notes on the last problem solving solution, and helped my girlie wash her hands.

Middle school sinks are too high for Little Kids.

I have since put in a request for a stool, so Little Kids can use the washroom independently when visiting the library upstairs.

Not that I would ever discourage another mid-day visit from my cute little Miss G.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness what a funny blog.... I can picture her in my mind so plain... doing the pee-dance... Miss A is VERY good at drawing herself.... Nanny could have told anyone that it was a self-portrait.Keep on having fun Girlies.... and by the way... Mommy, you are the best...!!! Love Mom..xo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...