Monday 17 June 2013

D'Iberville Untouched

Eli has been having a lot of fun with my new travel camera, and he's been sending me some more pictures when he has a chance.

Today, he had a bit of a break because the planes were not able to fly.

Too much snow!

These are some more pictures from his Father's Day day-trip to D'Iberville, which reminds me of Tess of the D'Ubervilles a little bit.
Eli:  D'Iberville was an arctic research station last inhabited in the early 1990s. 

Eli:  I took a pic of the first and last page of the maintenance log of the snow cat that's still in the garage up there. 
Shannon:  This is Mater's very cold cousin Shiver. 
Eli:  Here's leftover canned supplies from about 1993. 
Shannon:  I think the inspection is past due. 
Shannon:  That looks cold.  I'm happy it's June. 
Eli found me a fuzzy wuzzy snowshoe hare for our anniversary! 
Shannon:  Her name is Thumpette.

I hope he gets to see a muskox up there.  I will call him Musky.

Also, Eli's not in Alert yet, but he will be.  He's in Fort Eureka. Eureka!!  Oh, that would be a fun place to live in.  Except noone lives there.

See?  I know I didn't pay attention when he first told me where he was, but I paid attention the second time.  It's easy to zone out when a guy talks military talk because of all of the abbreviations and ranks.  Who keeps track of that?

Eureka! is the second northernmost permanent research station, and Eli's in Fort Eureka!  There are also the Environment Canada Weather Station (with the lowest precipitation AND the lowest annual temperature in Canada) and the now-closed-due-to-funding PEARL which stands for Polar Environment Atmospheric Research Laboratory. 

Eureka!  (It doesn't officially have an exclamation point after the name, but I think it should, don't you?)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...