Sunday 14 July 2013

A Beautiful Autumn Day on the Water

It really was, by all accounts, a beautiful autumn day today.

We took the boat out. 

The wind was a tad strong, so we had big waves, but it was quite nice for short trip on an autumn day.

No, this isn't one of my posts that I didn't get around to until months later.

We did have a lovely autumn day today, only today is July 14th.

Give me my summer back, Yellowknife! 

NOW!  I've earned beach weather, damn it!

The girls were very excited to be on the water!

I'm less thrilled with the toques and full lined suits necessary to sport over the life jackets... in July.
It's hard to tell, but this is an action shot.

We were being bounced around, and Miss G and Miss A were both getting pretty wet! 

They thought it was awesome.
It's hard to tell, but they are hugging here because of the wind and lake spray.
Eli tucked in behind some islands, and the wind was mostly blocked.

The girls scouted out a great place to dock.
Eli motored the boat into place.
Gramma and Grampa enjoyed their inaugural boat ride on Eli's new boat.
The girls were very excited about an island picnic!
Grampa loves all of the radios and other measuring tools that Eli has on the boat dash.

I like the canopy.  It makes me not grumpy on the boat.
Papa really seems to like Eli's boat, too!  He's turned into a great first mate!
On the island across from us were some crane-type birds who seemed to be hanging around their nest.

Grampa asked me what kind of cranes they were.

I have no idea, so I told him that I would go out on a limb and call them "Northern Cranes."  He thought that was pretty funny.
Papa rediscovered that he like to fish!
Gramma brought bubbles for the girls, which was a super idea!
Also across on the oppositre island was this seagull.

He patiently waited the whole time we visited and was rewarded with a feast of fries that I left him when we set sail.
The girls were confused by the weather, which lead to interesting fashion choices.

Miss G wanted it to just be hot because the sun was peeking out through the clouds.

Miss A, like Mama, likes to be comfortable, so put together a colourful layered look.

I call this Boho-Knife.  It's like Boho-Chic, only warmer and involves a toque.
The girls bubbled Papa.
Eli's boat, Squishy's Butt... Don't touch the butt!
Some of the men smoked pipes.
I took my obligatory shadow picture, because there is always a long shadow in the North.
Papa took pictures of the girls because they are so cute.

They are also fantastic at casting fishing lines!
And, of course, bubbles.
Miss A modelling the aforementioned Boho-Knife style

"Adventuring," as Miss G calls it.
Papa fished lots, had a few bites, but no big fish in this pass.
All in all, this really was a fantastic day, for a misplaced autumn in the middle of July!
But, as Miss G said once before in her infinite wisdom:  
"Summer in Yellowknife is too short. 
And, winter is way too long. 
And spring and fall don't come here. 
I want to have all the seasons. 
Or, to live in a land where it is summer all the time instead of winter. 
Is that a real land, Mama?"

Yes.  It's Hawaii.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah Shannon, you always could make the best of any situation...making lemonade from lemons!! Eli is a lucky man to have you!!!!

(I too like this idea of the land where it is always summer!!!)

MM

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...