Sunday 24 February 2013

From -40 to +30

Through some fantastic luck, a great professional development fund, awesome encouraging husbands and more luck again, I spent the end of January in sunny Orlando enjoying a technology and education conference in January, which also means that I am getting a wonderful break from the arctic temperatures and short days.

My cousin Nicole met me here for my first weekend, but to chronicle our adventures, I will need a few blog posts.

This post is about my flight and meeting my week long home away from home in Orlando, the Hard Rock Hotel. I love you, Hard Rock!
Eli brought me to the airport for my afternoon flight south. 

I left my parka at home, since I wouldn't need it in Florida!

It was a chilly run from the airport, onto the tarmac to the plane at -35! 
I had nine hours to spend in the Edmonton airport, and I found these Ernie and Burt heads at the lost and found!

Dad!  I found your head!

I went back later to ask if I could have them, but they were gone. 
Once past security, I smelled a wonderful chocolately smell that made me do a complete u-turn to by some midnight snacks for my flight.  Mmmm.  Chocolate. 
The overnight flight was uneventful. 

Luckily, I was in the first row, so I did not get sick on the plane, as I have on other trips.

And, just before 7:00 am, I could see the sun thinking about rising over Florida from the plane. 

Imagine! 

The sun up by 7:00 am in JANUARY!! 
By 9:30 am, I managed to find a chair by the pool to doze in.

The sun was already higher than is gets in Yellowknife.  Even in the summer. 
Early in the afternoon, my room was ready, so I brought my luggage up and had a nap. 
Hello, me!  Savour every minute! 
Hello beautiful clean bathroom that I do not have to clean. 
Hello, palm trees, outside my room.  You cannot grow in Yellowknife, and you are so green and leafy. 
Hello, me.  And, hello, coffee station. 

My cousin, Nicole, is on her way and will love to meet you! 
In fact, she's on the plane flying here now! 
Nicole's husband Greg drove her to Bangor to catch the flight to Orlando.

Farewell, snow-covered land!
The Hard Rock Hotel is oh-so-very rock 'n roll everywhere.

They really know how to take a theme and maximize it! 
In the Rock Shop, are videos of other Hark Rocks around the word, and LOADS of rock memorabilia. 
The entire hotel was like a huge museum. 
It was hard to take it all in, but I tried! 
Too... much... rock... 'n... roll... to... process...
Madonna!!  Closest I'll get to her, I imagine! 
This is peeking into the Velvet Lounge. 
Outside is this beautiful guitar fountain.  
And, GREEN everywhere... a stark contrast to the white in Yellowknife. 
Mama likes! 
I was soon getting anxious for Nicole to arrive... so I waited. 
And, waited... 
And, finally...
... she arrived! 
We had a delicious supper in The Kitchen, and Bart Simpson stopped by our table to say hello.  What's up, Bart?  
Orlando, watch out!  Cousins are united and about to take you ON!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...