Saturday 2 March 2013

Nicole and Shannon Take Orlando: Day 2, Conquering The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and Universal Like Champions!

The main draw to make this whirlwind trip to Orlando, for Nicole -- aside from me, of course -- was the fact that we could visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Islands of Adventure.
For us Harry Potter nerds, nothing could be more wonderful!
We woke up bright and early to take advantage of having the whole park to ourselves, ahead of general admission... a perk of staying at the Hard Rock Hotel. 
We happily skipped (I am not kidding you), walked and rushed past the Hard Rock Cafe on City Walk outside of the Universal gates to get in line.
Yeah, baby!  I can do it! 
We finished our smoothies and joined the early admissions line up.

With a giant cheer we laughed-walked-skipped into the park!! 

We zipped past some other Universal themes on our way to Hosgmeade, just outside of Hogwarts, in the far corner of the park.  Every worker there was so friendly and helpful, calling out, "Have a blast! I hope you have a wonderful day!"

Nicole and I kept squeezing each other's arms and we happily arrived at Hogsmeade, and paused.
"Please respect the spell limits."

I think the most amazing thing about the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is that you are literally and physically walking around in something that was once just an idea in a writer's mind.

How simply delightful is that?

Oh, I get chills just thinking about it. 
Honeydukes!  We'll be back to see the wizarding candy once it opens! 
Zonkos!  Wizarding pranks! 
And, then, we arrived at Hogwarts!! 
We both have permanent smile lines from this trip.
We had absolutely NO lines to speak of for the first hour, so we managed to visit all of Harry Potter's world, and then came back for more. 

We decided to start with Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, which was more than just a ride, but an amazing experience, that made you feel as it you were flying with Harry and Ron all around Hogwarts, and as you went through the line up, you got to visit all of the places inside the castle.
Professor Sprout's greenhouse. 
The House Point Hourglasses, rewarding the four Hogwarts house students. 
We were so excited to be going in to Hogwarts, and did we ever feel lucky to be there early and on a non-busy day!  This would have been a several hour-long wait otherwise (though we did have express passes). 
This is the entrance to Dumbledore's Headmaster office.  What do you think the password is today? 
The Sorting Hat had a little chat with us, as did all of the paintings hanging up in the corridors! 
In Dumbledore's office, Harry, Ron and Hermione explained that there was a dragon loose, and we would need to help Harry and Ron by learning to fly brooms.  Bring it on! 
Next we headed over to the Flight of the Hippogriff.

We strolled past Hagrid's Hut, and when we arrived at the front of the ride we asked them if the ride was scary.

They said no.

We said, "Are you sure?"

They said no.

So, we got on the roller coaster... alone... all alone... in the front.

They pulled the go lever, and then Nicole starting saying, "Oh dear.  We are definitely definitely going up high."

I assured her that it was going to be fine.

Then we dropped, and we both started screaming!

We got off the roller coaster, and the workers told us that we were the loudest people to ever ride the Flight of the Hippogriff.  EVER!!

We asked them if The Hulk roller coaster was scary. 

They said, "For you two?  No. Don't do it!"

Later, we found out that the Flight of the Hippogriff is a family-friendly roller coaster.  

A kiddie ride. 

We laughed so hard! 

So, we got back in line and took another solo turn on the roller coaster, this time laughing the whole way!

When we got off, the workers said that not only were were the loudest people to ever ride the Flight of the Hippogriff, but we were also the happiest! 
We stopped to see the conductor at Platform 9 and 3/4 by the Hogwarts Express. 
Then, we stood in line to experience Ollivander's Wand Shop and were delighted to watch a young Harry Potter wizarding fan get the thrill of a lifetime as Ollivander called him by name, and assisted as he found his wand.

"The wand picks the wizard, Harry."
We stopped by Honeydukes to admire the treats. 
Bertie Botts' Every Flavour Beans.  Love the British spelling, Hogsmeade! 
We decided to leave the Wizarding World of Harry Potter mid-morning to take in the rest of the park, and then returned later that afternoon for more wizarding fun! 
Next, we visited Jurassic Park.

Strolling through, I saw a ride that said, "river ride," or something like that, and I said, "Oh, Nicole, let's go!  That would be so nice to go on a raft ride."

So, we walked up to the rafts, and got in along side of another couple.

We were floating along, and I was commenting on how beautiful the trees were and everything, and then we passed a brontosaurus.

Suddenly, with wide eyes, I grabbed Nicole, and said, "Oh my God.  I think there are going to be dinosaurs on this ride!"

Nicole said, "Do you think?!  It said, 'Jurassic Park' on the sign, and that means dinosaurs."

I began to panic.  "Oh my God!  We are headed towards the raptor containment area and the gate is open!  The siren is going!  Excuse me!!  Hello!!!  Do you know the Raptors are out!?  I don't think visitors should be going here.  Oh my God, Nicole, we are going into the Raptor area."

Nicole and the other couple laughed at my hysteria. 

I promptly closed my eyes and hid my head.  I held onto Nicole's hard for dear life, and she held on to mine.

At one point, I felt something spray me while there was enormous chaos.

"What was that?!"

Nicole said, "A raptor just spit on you!"

"Why?  Why me?!"

I cracked my eyes open enough to see a Tyrannosaurus Rex charging us, and then we dropped.

Nicole and I both screamed.
Note the death grip we have on each other.

Note the fear.

When we got off the ride, our co-couple found us, and just pointed and laughed.

"YOU!" the stranger man said, pointing to Nicole.  "You!  Did you see the picture?"

Oh, how could we leave a memory like that behind? 
I am sure you are all happy to see that we survived the dinosaurs. 

Thank you for your concern. 
We continued into cartoon land, and took some time to pose. 
This could not be more true.

We had a blast!  People were so happy to hear about how we just took advantage of this opportunity for a Mommy-only trip, and complete strangers were actually proud of us!  I think Nicole and I accomplished something very unique and special with this trip.

Well, we returned to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter with a specific mission:  The Dragon Challenge.
Many, many years ago, Nicole was the first person to take me on the Bill Lynch Exhibition ride, the Zipper.  

Back then, Nicole was fearless.  I was short, and began to bounce around the cage of the Zipper, and Nicole tai kwon do held me into place.

Now, we know better.  We had already passed on a roller coaster at SeaWorld, but we really really wanted the complete Harry Potter experience, so we psyched ourselves up, and I gently pushed Nicole to line up for the Dragon Challenge.

I took one for the team, and took the end seat, which was a little scary, because it was open. 

The roller coaster left our feet dangling.

We both screamed the entire 80 seconds the roller coaster whipped us around.

Nicole left a hand print on my leg, while chanting, "I am having fun.  This is fun."

We got off the roller coaster and I started cheering and yelling, "We did it!  You did it!" 

Then, I got confused and went the wrong way.  Nicole was following me, so she went the wrong way, too.

I turned us around and we got out of the ride area.
Nicole burst into tears and whispered, "I'm alive."

I said, "Yes. Yes, you are."

A nice lady stopped and said to Nicole, "Dear, are you OK?"

Nicole was hard to hear.

The lady said "What?"
I listened more closely, and repeated for the lady.  "She's fine.  She's a champion."

Then, we all laughed.
Nicole, Tri-Wizard Champion! 

After our stomachs settled, we ate at Mythos on Monique's recommendation, and strolled around Hogsmeade some more.
Wouldn't we be fashionable witches? 
To wrap up the day, we went to the Hog's Head for a butterbeer. 
It was so amazing to see the detail in every single item in Hogsmeade!  Everything! 
Buttery and delicious! 
Cheers to the Champions!  We survived dinosaurs and dragons in the same day! 
We snapped this picture for our husbands.  I'm sure they would have had one bourbon, one scotch and one beer to toast their crazy ladies! 
Nicole and Shannon did take Orlando, like champions!
Made all the better because we cousins came from opposite ends of Canada in an unlikely hybrid of perfect timing and happy luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this vivid description of your amazingly fun but terrifying day! You two are indeed 'true champions'!!!

MM

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was some face on Nicole!!! Coasters? No thank you!! I can safely say I'd rather be in the arctic! Lol.
Kel

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...